Ray served in the Army, and was in the same unit as José Senior. When their children met at WSUV, they became good friends. Ray met Carla sometime after her first husband passed away.
Through Ana's narration, we learn that:
- He is "taciturn" and hates talking on the phone
- He taught Ana about guns, self-defense, and tools
- His solution to most problems is to make a kettle of tea
- He is a skilled carpenter, and likes making furniture; his other hobbies include bowling and fly-fishing
- He likes watching soccer (especially "European soccer") and baseball (he roots for the Mariners)
In the Books
In Fifty Shades of Grey, Ray attends Ana's graduation ceremony. At the reception, he meets Christian, and they bond over fly-fishing.
In Fifty Shades Freed, the Rodriguez men and Ray are driving back from a fishing trip when they are hit by a drunk driver. Ray is severely injured, but manages to make a full recovery.
Ray was married to Carla May Wilks on June 6, 1990. (Ana would have been just under a year old.) They were together for 16 years, before divorcing on July 12, 2006.